Toasted Quinoa with Root Vegetables
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup stock (vegetable, chicken, whatever you prefer)
1 pinch of salt (only if your stock is no-sodium or low-sodium)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 heavy pinch (about 1/4 tsp) cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans are best), toasted
1. In a dry saucepan over medium heat, toast the quinoa grains until you begin to smell them. This will take about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil until melted. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the oni ons are translucent. This will take about 5 minutes.
3. After the quinoa is nicely toasted, add in the broth and salt and stir to combine. Bring the pot to a boil, cover, and then reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally and cook until the liquid has been absorbed. This will take approximately 20 minutes.
4. Once the onions have become translucent, stir in the sweet potatoes, mushrooms and cayenne. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the sweet potato is tender. This will take approximately 20 minutes.
NOTE: Depending on the water content of your veggies, you may need to add liquid towards the end so they don't stick and burn. Just keep and eye on the pan and stir every once in a while. You will most likely be fine but, if not, just add a splash of stock or water to keep everything moving.
5. A few minutes before you are ready to plate, add the nuts to a small dry sauté pan and heat them over high heat just until you smell them. Keep tossing them so they don't burn.
To serve, spoon the quinoa on a plate and place the vegetables on top. Sprinkle with the toasted nuts.